The Akwa Ibom State Government has constituted a Judicial Panel of Investigation to investigate cases of Police brutality in the State.
This was announced in a statement signed by Secretary to Akwa Ibom State Government, Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem after an emergency State Executive Council meeting held on Monday 19th October 2020.
According to Dr. Ekuwem, the emergency Exco Meeting deliberated exhaustively and arrived at the following decisions:
- That the clamour for humane and responsible policing by Nigerian youths is a germane demand which must be listened to and addressed.
2.That the youths in Akwa Ibom state who partook in the protests in Uyo have conducted the same peacefully and with great respect for the individual rights of other citizens and they deserve commendation.
- That the demand for documentation of victims and incidences of police brutality in our state is important and necessary for future actions.
- That as a responsible government, we hereby constitute a Judicial Panel of Investigation to investigate incidences of Police brutality in Akwa Ibom State.
Members of the panel are as follows:
- Justice Ifiok Ukana (Rtd) Chairman
- Ms. Manti Umoh Representative of Civil Society Organization & Protesters Representative
- Mr. Harris Udoh. – Representative of Civil Society Organization
- Barr. Bassey Essien CP(Rtd). – Senior Retired Police Officer
- Barr. Omen Bassey – Youth representative
- Comrade Aniedi Michael – NAAKISS Worldwide President – Student Leader
- Tony Iji. – National Human rights Commission
- Mfon Edemekong Esq. – Ministry of Justice ~ secretary
The terms of reference are:
- Receive and investigate complaints of police brutality, human rights violations, and related extrajudicial killings.
- Evaluate evidence presented /other surrounding circumstances and draw conclusions as to the validity of the complaints.
- Recommend compensation and other remedial measures, where appropriate.
The duration of the Panel has been slated for three months in the first instance. The inauguration of the Judicial Panel of Investigation will hold on Tuesday, 20th October 2020 at the EXCO Chambers by 5pm.
Dr. Ekuwem stressed the State Executive Council’s warning against the politicization of the protests.