Kerosene Explosion Renders Family Homeless in Akwa Ibom

By Uwakmfon Dan

The family of late Robert Nnanga, in Nkwa Ibiono in Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area of of Akwa Ibom State, was rendered homeless over the weekend, following an inferno caused by an adulterated kerosene.

Our Correspondent learnt that a member of the family had bought kerosene suspected to be adulterated, poured it into a lantern which exploded into flames, as soon as it was light up.

An eyewitness also told our correspondent that efforts to reach the Akwa Ibom State Fire Service proved abortive, as none of their emergency help lines were connecting.

He however said that youths in the area made frantic efforts to extinguish the fire which had already set the whole building ablaze.

One of the family members, Usen Usen, who expressed sadness over the incident, said that the family has lost all their belongings in the inferno and wondered how they would survive.

He said that apart from the immediate victim who sustained partial burns, other occupants of the said building were unharmed, but had no play to lay their heads.

He therefore called on the state and local governments, including public spirited individuals to come to their aid.