Justice Okon Abang has ordered Abdulrasheed Maina to open his defence on January 26, 2021 at a resumed trial on Monday. 

Maina’s lawyer, Anayo Adibe had earlier asked for an adjournment on the ground that Maina was unable to proceed with his no-case submission due to his inability to access the certified true copy of the court’s record of proceedings.

The application for adjournment was opposed by the prosecutor who said that it was a tactic to stall the trial.

Justice Abang foreclosed the right of Maina’s counsel to present a no-case submission as he orders the defendant to open his defence on the next adjourned of January 26 and 27, 2021.

Maina’s lawyer while speaking after the court ruling, Adibe told news men that the legal team is very ready to open defence.

“We are very ready to open our defence but it’s just that we have made an application for the opening of no-case submission to be made which has been refused and foreclosed. We are going to appeal that.

“However, we intend to continue our representation for the first defendant. Therefore, we are very ready to open our defence.”

The Federal Government is prosecuting Mr Maina on a 12-count charge of fraud and money laundering.